Old 09-11-05, 05:19 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I think it comes from "mental filtering." While riding where you are visible and wearing highly visible clothing is important, motorists are not looking for you. You don't fit the "danger filter" they are using. Looking for eye contact is also a bit overated as someone can look right through you at traffic behind you and appear to be looking right at you... This is especially true where side streets meet busier streets. Motorists looking way down the street can appear to be looking right at you.
Originally Posted by p8rider
Not being seen is a common thing and not just on bicycles. Years ago back in my motorcycle days I would be cut off all of the time by cars. I was riding a big bike at the time, (Honda 750/4) with the headlamp on and still cars would not see me. It has made me very carefull on my bicycle!
I've dealt with this for 20 yrs on my motorcycles. Not only am I larger and noisier than a bicycle,with a much larger headlight,but my full-face helmet is BRIGHT orange. Like AlertShirt orange. But I've had people look at me,make actual eye contact,and then pull. Car drivers just don't worry about things they don't think can hurt them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X