Old 05-27-13, 12:07 AM
NYIRISH83

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Special Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Project Vega (Commie Grocery Getter) is underway!

Tonight I started the tear down of my '74-'75 Fuji Special Tourer. Shifters, brakes, derailers and bar tape were removed a few years ago when I decided to do this project...life got in the way and now I'm back to it. I removed the wheelset, crankset and bottom bracket. I'm not sure if I want to take down the front end as it doesn't have any play and still feels good. I had read that this bicycle came from the factory with a nitto stem and bars, which I am happy to say still has. The rear rack is Swiss made and very good quality, also happy about that. I'm going for the easiest conversion I can on this project because its my first. Eightinch makes a "deluxe conversion kit" that includes a wheelset (700c with flip flop hub and cogs) crankset, chain and bottom bracket. The last components I will be hunting around for are a single brake lever, cable and caliper. If anyone has any input on "cheap, but good" I'll be grateful. Down the road I'll be adding a front rack and fenders (either a single rear, or set...haven't decided) lastly, the name of the project. The reason I'm calling it "Vega" is because I am doing a red color scheme to match the Lockheed Vega flown by Amelia Earhart. The wheel set by Eigthinch is their "Amelia" line and also my daughter's name. We like the association haha. Secondly, "Commie Grocery Getter"...it's going to be an all red utilitarian bicycle...hard pressed for anything more commie than that...maybe a monsterous tractor with red steel wheels? Anyway, I'll be uploading pictures as it gets further underway. I might swing into my work tomorrow to grind on it a bit and clean some of it up in the solvent tank (I'm a diesel mechanic, odd place for a bicycle)

Last edited by NYIRISH83; 05-27-13 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Spelling