View Single Post
Old 05-28-13, 07:20 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomTroll
In Albuquerque the goatheads worked their way through tireliners, including my Mr Tuffys. I now use 2 tireliners in each tube: old Slimes and new StopFlats2s. I went through a gallon of sealant before deciding that it caused more trouble than it helped: when it doesn't seal a puncture it fouls the adhesive of the patch. Kevlar-belted puncture-resistant tires didn't stop goatheads.

I don't claim that my experience will be everyone's.
I never saw the need for two tire liners, but like I mentioned before the Panaracer FlatAway is far tougher against flats then Mr tuffy and the assorted poly type of liners.

Your experience with Slime goo is the same as mine; so is the kevlar belted tire thing too. That's why Conti Gatorskins failed so miserably against goatheads. I don't know what Specialized uses in their Armadillo tire but it works great, so good I never needed a liner, or thorn tubes, or slime filled tubes.

Living in high vs low ozone, not sure what you mean, I use to live in Los Angeles area back in the 70's and 80's when pollution levels were a lot higher then today and still didn't have issues with tires cracking before they wore out, even stored tires didn't crack. I have had or seen cheap Walmart type of tires crack fast but not decent tires at least not over a 6 year period that I had tires sitting on one bike I rarely used.