Old 05-30-13, 11:24 AM
tom4416

Bikes: Subject to change

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the line between hybrids and road bikes gets more blurred every day because the definition of hybrid keeps expanding. They can be anything from what is essentially a flat bar road bike to a full suspension/fenders/racks bike. My current bike is a true hybrid and my next one is a flat bar road bike but still considered a hybrid because it's not a drop bar bike that weighs less than 20lbs, is drilled and tapped for a rear rack (gasp!) and has pedals that weight more than 2.1 oz. each . I can't ride drop bar for a variety of medical reasons but still get told over and over by web guru's to consider a "true" road bike.

However, my reception in person is entirely different - riders of all abilities and income levels have encouraged me, strongly, to get the bike I'm most comfortable with and to ride with them whenever I wish. They've been helpful about suggesting brands and features to look for, how to equip it for best utility while saving weight, etc.. Some of them ride $10,000+ full carbon bikes, some ride more affordable ones and some very experienced and competitive riders are on hybrids.