Old 05-31-13, 03:42 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Does gearing really make this much difference? In general, people seem to focus on one gear on the bottom which may make an 8-10% difference, or one gear on the top, so they don't "spin out". It seems to me that no matter what gearing you pick, you will always find a situation where you have to mash on a climb or coast on a descent. Did this morph into the road racing sub forum, and is there money at stake? I just don't get how people so focus on searching for the perfect gearing.

I have done the same group ride for 3+ years, and whether it is on a standard crank, compact crank, 1x9, or 1x1, I have always survived, my "speed" always matches the groups, and if I get dropped it is because my will failed, and never my gearing.
As discussed earlier, it isn't necessarily related to organized racing at all. How about keeping up with your friends after riding 4 hours and then facing some steep hills? Gearing is critical and personal. I have friends that can't spin very fast...or at least comfortably throughout a ride. They aren't faster, they just turn a lower RPM. These guys normally like taller gears than me so they choose different gearing. Same speed but different gearing. I will tell you what I don't like. I don't like walking up hills after 80 miles of hard riding. If you ride alone or don't try to keep up with other riders that ride in a spirited manner, then it doesn't matter. You can just walk.