View Single Post
Old 09-12-05, 10:15 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Perhaps the problem is in separating these two issues.

1) Is the following statement TRUE, or not? Being hit from elsewhere is much more likely to kill you while you are cycling than is being hit from behind in daylight.

2) IF the above statement is TRUE, can it be used to support a particular lane position?
The first statement needs to be modified for me to agree with it to read:
"Being hit from elsewhere is much more likely to kill you while you are cycling the vast majority of the time to the very far right of the road, in a bike lane or on the sidewalk, than is being hit from behind in daylight."

Of course we don't know the most common place cyclists are riding when the fatality data was collected, but I assume it is where I obverve on daily basis (and have observed when traveling in many parts of the US) where 95% of cyclist ride which is primarily the sidewalk followed by curb hugging.

We have zero data on how many full lane using VC cyclists are being hit from behind.
We have zero data on how many sidewalk only cyclists are being hit from behind, but it can be deduced the number is zero.

Al