View Single Post
Old 06-02-13, 01:19 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hills-Miles and low average speed.

Sportif advertised locally and I was waiting for the weather to see what it was like before entering on the day. Forecast was good so 6.30 am and me Mick and Ross were in the van and on the 10 mile trip for a 7.30 start. Now I am not a complete fool but this was a fifty miler over local roads and was going to be hilly. It took in 6 of the main local hills and normally our rides would take in two of these or possibly 3 if we were feeling good. A 3 hill ride will involve about 35 miles and 3,000 ft of climbing so to take part in this ride and I knew it was going to hurt.

First bit took us around a residential area but if you think seaside towns are flat- then I can assure you that is wrong. We finally got to the first (Second if you count the route out) 12% hill. Never done this one but 1 mile of continual 12% soon got the legs alive. By the top of this hill we had done 5 miles and showed 1064ft of climbing. Across the top and down and there was a route modification. Normally it would be a 16% for 3/4 mile (As in my Avatar) but the alternative was a bit longer and took us through the "Posh" area of East Dene. The name for this should have given me a warning but the "Ramp" is named through the nice gentle 8% suddenly going to 20%---Twice. The first of these is in the vid at 30 seconds and came as a shock. Incidentally the rider in yellow that passed me at around 1 min 40 is a mate of mine-Stuart- and he is 120 lbs soaking wet and is one of the best T.T riders in the south East. He didn't even gasp hello as he passed me.

Good downhill and a few more slopes that made me realise that I had taken a good choice in the triple with a 12/30 cassette and it was just miles of rollers till the one I was dreading. 1 mile at 8% then it gradually steepens to 1/2 mile at 20%. Started to see the first walkers here But gearing was fine so plodded on. This was a turnround point so all the pain turned to joy with a fast descent to the food station. Food Station- It was more like a local shop with sticky buns- Flapjack- Fudge- cheesy biscuits-Biscuits galore and if you could manage it-as much fruit as you wanted. All free and I restrained myself to a banana-an almond slice- a flapjack and put a couple of snacks in the pockets. That's what I get for having no breakfast. About 10 miles of country lanes before the next hill and that was the High and Over. One of my favourite climbs but not after those that I had already done thankyou. Couple of miles after and it was the final hill. 1 mile at average of 8% but the first 1/4 mile is steep. No idea how steep but plenty walking this bit again. Only 10 miles to go now and my bugbear slope of the rise to Beachy Head. 2 miles at around 3 to 5 % and I hate it. Only good bit on this road is the 2 10% climbs around a couple of bends and the final steeper rise to the top.

But that was all the climbing done. Downhill through the Zig Zags and the final straight to the finish. Total time was 4 hours 29 minutes at an average of 11.1 mph. Slowest ride I can remember doing on the road but also the hilliest. I had estimated 7,000 ft for this ride but it was 5,950 according to the Garmin and I knew it. Ross and Mick finished 20 minutes ahead of me. That mate Stuart did it in 2 hours 20 minutes so I will not be taking him out for a ride anytime soon.

And as an incidental- I am shattered and was just resting my body to watch the Moto GP later and the wife told me Mick was in the Garden. His wife had told him to take the dog for a walk and the grass needed cutting aswell. He took the dog for a walk--20 yards to my house and we just sat on the bench by the pond moaning to each other about how Our Muscles ache. Think the dog enjoyed the rest aswell as it was snoring louder than Mick after about 5 minutes. Neither of us had walked any hill but Mick does want lower gearing now. And on lower gearing-I was surprised at how many bikes had MTB gearing fitted with an 11/34 cassette and that included a lot of the Club Riders so they obviously know my local hills better than I do.

And final picture of the 3 of us before we collapsed

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sportif.jpg (78.1 KB, 56 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-02-13 at 01:54 PM.