Old 06-03-13, 12:35 AM
aramis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bry4n
Hello everyone, Bryan here.

Scroll to the bottom if you don't want to hear me rabble about my experience.

I participated in the Ride For Heart, Heart & Stoke charity event and decided to do the 75 km route. Riding along the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway (both highways were closed down a roughly 8 or so hours for this event)

To avoid being stuck in the larger packs I decided to get their early and managed to be at the front (about 10 or so riders ahead of me) As soon as the time hit 6:00 am we were off and my adrenaline was pumping, I got off to a fairly decent start and had was at the rear of the small leading 4 man pace line (mind you this was my first time riding a pace line and I wasn't sure what to expect) I was lucky enough to stick to them for about 3 minutes or so then they just turned their motors on and left me behind. I decided it would be a bad choice to try and chase them down since their pace was just out of my league and I didn't want to burn myself out early on.

I rode alone and tried to keep a steady pace (don't have a computer yet as I have only purchased the bike 2 months ago) couple minutes go by and another group comes storming along, not too long before I was dropped once again. The third group that came by was a fairly larger group, about 15 riders that rode in two lines. 5 minutes I purposely dropped myself to the rear to let my legs rest up a bit and because I felt a bit safer there. Bad idea. Before I knew it, the 5 guys ahead of me lagged behind and created this huge gap from the front riders. I went to the right and peddled hard in an attempt to catch up to them, no luck on my part as a hill was coming and I eased off to allow my legs to catch up to me.

After a good amount of time I finally had a group around my speed and kept up to their pace, I enjoyed that whole time. The group eventually broke apart and some decided to just back off and relax while others jetted off, I stayed in between and peddled on. Both calves starting cramping up with about 15-20 kms to go but I somehow managed to shake it off and it went away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started at 6:00 am and got to the finish line at 8:30 am. 2 hours and 30 minutes for just over 75 km (probably 80 km)

Rode using regular running shoes (never got the time to buy road shoes but I hope to pick some up soon)

Rocky Mountain 2012 Prestige CR10
Frame: Tapered Head Tube, Hi Mod Carbon Monocoque, Carbon Dropouts.
Fork: RMB Carbon / Tapered Alloy Steerer
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra
Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora 34.9mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Crankset: FSA Vero 170-172.5-175mm 50/39/30T
Rims: Mavic CXP22 N

So, how I'm curious to know how I did for a newbie? I'm really interested knowing where I'm at.

I hope to do this again next year and beat my time
Sounds like you had fun and pushed yourself, which is always good.

It's kind of a silly question to ask, like asking how good of a basketball player you are if you scored 8 points in a pick-up game at the park. No one here can tell you, but if you felt good and had fun, that's what's important. Push yourself to go further and faster and you'll probably keep enjoying yourself.