View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 06:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,603 Times in 2,356 Posts
op - I hear ya! I too pride myself on being observant for cyclists and courteous. this weekend on a typical NE tree lined road way, 1 lane in ea direction, speed limit about 35 and many people go 40 or a touch over. being 2 lanes there isn't much extra room for bikes. I see a knucklehead riding the wrong way (my side) on the sidewalk, on a mountain bike without a helmet. so he's got my attention ... I like to give a little extra room "just in case" so as I'm thinking of staying a touch further away from my right shoulder I notice on coming traffic so I know I have to stay in my lane. but then what do I see? riding in the opposite lane, also coming toward me (but going the correct direction and correctly in the roadway) is a recumbant, but he's barely visivle because he is in deep shade and wearing black. must be on suicide mission on a recumbent wearing black. he's got 1 small red flag which does nothing - I saw his black mass before the flag. but as I'm driving I have to calculate both oncoming bikes plus on coming traffic. I know the oncoming traffic is going to have to go around the recumbent at the last second when they finally see him and they are not slowing so I have to slow and move right hoping the MTB knucklehead stay put on the sidewalk. what if I was a teen texting and swerving? bad bad recipe. so many people dress in black thinking everyone will be looking out for them and will have time and room to be courteous. they are so wrong.