View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 05:18 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Comfort = Performance. At the end of a long ride you will perform better if your feet dont hurt.
Yeah, though I'll say that owning both Speedplay (road) and Time Atac's (mountain), for some reason that's unlikely to be related to the system itself my mountain bike shoes are definitely more comfortable than my road shoes.

I've bought and tried 2 different pairs of road shoes (older Sidi with a plastic sole, and new Specialized with a carbon sole), and several shoe inserts, and only managed to get my feet at the end of the ride to go from "almost completely numb" to "somewhat numb". With my mountain bike shoes (which are also Specialized, and a cheaper model at that) I only rarely have foot pain after a long ride.

I'm really not saying mountain shoes are more comfortable on the whole for other people, just that there's definitely nothing that says you'll actually be more comfortable with road shoes. If you're having problems now they might be worth trying, but if some guy was just saying something (and your current shoes are comfortable) I don't think I'd spend the money.