Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
For the past month, I've been riding anywhere between 5-10 miles a day, every other day. The minimum distance I ride is 2 miles but not very often.

I said I wasn't looking to beat any speed OR time records with this ride. We're riding on a Saturday and neither of us will have any obligations for the whole weekend. Besides I wouldn't want to ride 8 hours in a bent over road bike position, perhaps you like that sort of thing but I don't.

Now my question, is there anything I can add to my training routine to be successful on this ride?
It's the beginning of June. July is one month away. And you're just riding 5-10 miles a day every other day?

Yes, there is something to add to your training routine to be successful on this ride ....... ride more. Lots more.

At this point, you've got no idea if riding your hybrid is going to be remotely comfortable for you for the 12+ hours it is going to take you to do the ride ... so I wouldn't be criticising those of us who ride road bicycles over these distances.

So here's what you do ... this week ...

Tuesday - ride 10 miles
Wednesday - ride 10 miles
Thursday - ride 10 miles
Friday - take the day off the bicycle and go for a 2-mile walk
Saturday - ride 20 miles
Sunday - ride 15 miles
Monday - take the day off and go for a 2-mile walk
Tuesday - ride 12 miles
Wednesday - ride 12 miles
Thursday - ride 12 miles
Friday - take the day off and go for a 2-mile walk
Saturday - ride 30 miles
Sunday - ride 20 miles
etc. etc.

You've really got to start building up the distance.

And while you're doing that, pay attention to the fit of your bicycle, to the saddle, to the clothes you're wearing, and to the foods you're experimenting with. Oh, and don't forget to hydrate and consume electrolytes.