View Single Post
Old 06-05-13, 07:06 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Embrey
I think it's more to do with on the road serviceability/repairibility more than durability anymore. You can just take along an extra set of old down tube shifters and make repairs or swap easily if needed.
When I first started on this forum, one of the arguments for bar end shifters is that you could switch from indexing to friction with a twist of the tension knob. You may want to do this in the event of a malfunction of the indexing. Where with a brifter malfunction, there isn't a friction mode so you may be stuck in a single rear cog until the brighter is repaired or replaced. One solution to the brifter malfunction is to bring a pair of downtube shifters for emergencies but this requires that the bike frame has the proper braze-ons for the downtube shifters (the lth and 520 have the braze-ons), otherwise you will need an old style downtube shifter clamp.

The benefit of bar-end shifters over downtube shifters is that there are times when you need to shift but want to keep both hands on the handlebars.

I like brifters on my touring bike, I haven't had problems with my brifters and I don't plan on doing any remote touring where I am too far from getting help for a breakdown.

I have noticed that when I rode my older road bike that has downtube shifters, that I shifted much less than when I use my bike with brifters.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 06-05-13 at 07:46 PM. Reason: stupid spell checker keeps auto spelling grifter when I type brifter