KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I almost said "dumbest thing I've ever read" but need to check myself because, unfortunately, there's been worse.

Given the timing (after a fatal hit and run) is the writer saying that harvest means "open season" on cyclists? I do understand the issue of safety when truck traffic is unusually high, and for some who can, it might be common sense to ride elsewhere, or possibly shift hours.

But the tone of the article wasn't a reminder to ALL road users to exercise due caution when roads are busier. Moreover it implies that bicycles are toys and second class road users which shows that the writer simply has no grasp on who rides and why.

What's next, a reminder to women, not to dress to nice, and not to go out at night, because the sexual predators are in force?
That's the perfect analogy in my mind; blame the victim. Agree with you exactly - if I were in the area, extra caution and alternate routes would be my course of action - but the bottom line is that I should be able to ride legally on public roads and the problem isn't me riding my bike, it's people behaving dangerously. The aggressive title of the article implies that cyclists have no real reason to be on the road, that all cyclists are roadies, and that their use of the roads can and should be limited. Had the article been something like:

Reminder, it's harvest time - watch out for cyclists, follow the laws and stay attentive. Cyclists, consider alternate routes.

I'd have no issue with it.