View Single Post
Old 06-07-13, 02:06 PM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cagedbird
Thanks, everyone! I did get a helmet. I bought one of the shell-type things (rather than the racy ones that look slicked back with all of the venting slots) so that I can put stickers on and such!

I bought a wicker basket at a yard sale to zip tie to the front to carry my water bottle, camera, wallet/keys, etc. Tonight's project is cutting up all of this ribbon I bought to make streamers for the handlebars. I'm a grown woman, but you're never too old for streamers.

As far as updates on the ride goes, there are a few things I'm not sure about. When I shift gears, it seems like it shifts a little hard. There is a bit of a clank when those bits go where they need to go. I'm not sure if that's a grease situation, or just the cheap parts.

I like the shocks! I try not to hit any bumps, but when I do, I get a nice little bounce rather than having the saddle jammed up you-know-where with solid force.

The brakes seem a little squeaky. Is this a grease thing? WD-40?
Gear clunking may just be technique. When changing gear you have to ease off the pressure on the pedals a bit (while still pedalling) and you should find that it clunks less.

Squeaky brakes normally mean the blocks need "toe'd in" which is to adjust them so the front of the blocks (in direction of travel) hits the rim slightly ahead of the rear of the blocks (I hope that makes sense). The squeaking is usually vibration because of the rear of the blocks hitting first.

Don't use WD 40 as you will affect the braking efficiency. Google Sheldon Brown for some good bike maintenance tips. It's very satisfying to do it yourself (if you can), but you may want someone who knows what they are doing to do the brakes.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1