bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Fuel your ride for cheap?

Maltodextrin is the biggest ingredient in most athletic drinks. Being a skeptic, especially when it comes to nutritional supplements I decided paying $54 for 5lb of the Hammer product was just too much. I've used PB and Honey sandwich for the longest but I forget to eat and can't keep my energy levels up as the ride goes on. So I moved on to liquid nutrition.

I bought 50 lbs of MD from Honeyville Grain for $59.00 delivered. Add 2 plastic buckets for ~$4.00 each and I'm good to go. 133 grams gets me 500 calories or enough for my 2.5 hour weekend rides. 200 calories per hours seems to be the sweet spot for me. I don't use caffeine other than for my longish weekend rides. I mix leaded and unleaded coffee 50/50 and poor 1/2 a cup into each of 2 water bottles. Add in the MD and the hot coffee mixes the MD easily. Next I fill with water and add a touch of sea salt. Tastes like coffee flavored energy drink with just a touch of sweetness from the MD.

None of this was my idea, came from multiple sources much of it scattered around BF.

It comes in this heavy duty, heavy bag.

Into the buckets with a bit left over.