Old 06-08-13, 09:19 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
^and i wont be at either. our 2 y.o. decided to grab a handful of cashews at daycare yesterday afternoon. turns out he's allergic. his face swelled up like rocky's! ER, observation, released, now home, but late night. going to the beach tomorrow for a family vacation so too many things to do to race, and missing towc also. :-/
bummer to hear that, and hopefully your 2-yr old will be fine.

enjoy your vacation
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I don't know when it clicked, but you put it all together this spring. You have had a very strong early season with the results to show for it. The stress hasn't gone away, in fact it probably increased with your job search and relocation, but you figured out how to find the balance. Once you did, you became a much nicer person to deal with. We'll be in the same field at some point. I look forward to it.
Thanks Shovel. Coming from you it means quite a bit.

hiring a certain cranky old master's racer as coach certainly helped. The approach and the workouts that went with it were something that i'd have never discovered or adopted had i came across them on my own. Runs pretty counter to what gets thrown out on wattage and slowtwitch regarding how one gets stronger (e-wang wise), but the more i stay on those places, the more i realize that people are pretty deluded to think that a few scientific models are the end all and be all of things. With my old approach, i think it would have taken me perhaps another season to get to the 3's as i wasn't training specifically to the events.

other than the thesis work that i'm still trying to finish, i think the stress level has actually come down quite a bit. Research projects in grad school is just way too nebulous for me to handle, and i don't handle things without a clear deadline that well. I like it that in my current work place that people understand that 20% of the work gets you 80% of the result, and they expect you do go 85-90% so you get relatively quality work out without wasting time to hunt for the minutia.

Hopefully i'll see you on the road or in a race in the near future.