Old 06-10-13, 12:12 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You could always choose to live the dream, minus the defective parts. http://www.hiwheel.com/antique_repli...r_standard.htm

However, there is a reason the ordinaries went out of vogue when the safety bike came along. I suppose the name of the modern bike gives it away, but think for a moment what happens when you hit something with that large front wheel that you are sitting atop. If the wheel stops, the angular momentum continues, with you being sent on a quick journey into the ground. Since your legs are somewhat trapped by the handlebars, you may well break your neck, which is what ended many a cyclist's life back in the day.

Your feeling of power in your dream is quite close to what I experienced when I rode my friend's high-wheeler for a few weeks many years ago. However, I much preferred the "upside down" bike he made me that was the same height but didn't have the safety issues of an ordinary. (Upside down bike: flip the fork/stem upside down, then weld on extensions for a seat post to what was the bottom of the bottom bracket and to the handlebars.)