RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
wow!

not trying to derail thread but wanted to address these.
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Another example of abusing the system. This may not seem like much but you spent lots of time with an employee knowing you weren't planning on buying from them. Meanwhile other potential customers might have either walked away and not brought anything or commented to the store they don't have enough employees for all customers.

Returning a daughter's bike because she didn't like hand brakes from your shed just ends up driving up prices for everyone else.
I spent some time chatting with the employee and asking questions, yes. Last time I checked that was part of their job. To help customers make informed decisions. I compared the pack to an REI pack. I would have bought them if the price was lower or if their pack had the features I valued as important. I might have bought from them if the prices were closer to what I paid. I had done some research online reading from different manufactorers about their packs. I wanted to see how they felt. She went and helped a couple other people people while I tried them on and looked at the features. I did not tie her up and then not buy anything. I was bragging on her thoroughness and helpfulness with my questions not trying say how I "scammed" the system.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Another example of abusing the system. This may not seem like much but you spent lots of time with an employee knowing you weren't planning on buying from them. Meanwhile other potential customers might have either walked away and not brought anything or commented to the store they don't have enough employees for all customers.

Returning a daughter's bike because she didn't like hand brakes from your shed is disgraceful in my opinion.
what do you recommend I do with the bike that she says will not ride? I bought it because her 16" bike was too small for her. She rode it in the parking lot at the store as a test drive and 1 time on our street and then it sat. (only a couple months) why say you have a 100% satisifaction guarantee if you don't honor it? I was/ am trying to encourage her to love to ride bikes like I do but she flat out refused. I thought that one her size would help her not drive her from it.

In regards to the bike I commuted on I TOOK IT TO PERFORMANCE BIKE TO FIX THE FENDER PROBLEM. I get it home and ride down my driveway and the fender is rubbing AGAIN. I have taken bikes to them to fix and they have said 1. you do not need a new cassette or chain they do something to it, it is not fixed so I take it do another place and they replace the chain and cassette and the bike shifts perfectly now. 2. I have taken my road bike there for some maintenance. they "adjust" my shifting. It is horrible. I am at a duathlon before the race and the local guy from a bike shop quickly tunes it and it shifts better than it did before I took it to Performance. I say this to show that I have been faithful to take stuff there and they have steered me wrong and not corrected problems I have taken to them.

Originally Posted by Dwayne
And then he goes in to have them adjust the pack he didn't buy there because he didn't want to pay a bit extra for the better service and knowledgeable employees. (comment removed by Admin)
1. it is rude to resort to name calling. 2. If i bought the pack straight from the manufactorer would I still be a jerk for going to the most local place that that can form the belt? That is part of what they do as company that carries that pack.

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
I agree. He used them for their knowledge then turned around and bought the product somewhere cheaper. The reason it was cheaper elsewhere is because they don't have knowledgeable staff who make a decent wage.

Shameful.

I'm not surprised REI changed their return policy, I've been expecting them to do so for a long time. People would go to thrift stores and buy used REI items and then return them for cash of their original purchase price. I've had people tell me to return things like bike pumps to REI and have them replace it, even though I didn't buy it there, that's what they've done. That didn't seem right to me, so instead I bought a rebuild kit for the pump. I've heard of so many examples of REI's generous return policy being abused it's dizzying.

A year seems more than fair. Hanging onto your receipt for a year to prove it was you that bought it seems fair too.

I'll continue to patronize REI for some of my gear needs, they are better than most places.
I do agree with the part of this when people buy it somewhere like a yard sale and then take it back for the hope of getting cash from REI. I think that saving the receipt does make sense and giving you a year is more than enough time/ seasons to test out gear.

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I agree. If I took that much of a salesperson's time, I'd have bought there or not at all. If I didn't intend to buy there, I wouldn't have taken their time. I sure as HELL would not have had the balls to go there to get an adjustment on stuff I didn't even buy there. That's really sleazy.
as i said before. 1. it is rude to resort to name calling. 2. If i bought the pack straight from the manufactorer would I still be a jerk for going to the most local place that that can form the belt? That is part of what they do as company that carries that pack. 3. I carried my receipt to show that I had bought it elsewhere.

Last edited by CbadRider; 06-12-13 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post