Old 06-12-13, 12:39 AM
teesak

Bikes: 2007 Trek SL 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7.2 FX of Sirrus Sport? down to tire width?

Hi All,

So I've been looking into hybrids and want one to replace my road bike with so i can do more neighborhood riding along with occasional rides of 15-20 miles.

With my budget and local shops i can get a Trek 7.2 FX for $500.00 and a Specialized Sirrus Sport for $560.00 (both being 2013 models). would like to make some upgrades eventually so some cash for that too.

The biggest difference which seems to be my deciding factor is the tire width, the FX has 700 x 35 and the Sirrus has 700 x 28 and they look more like slicks. I have a walking trail near by, its not rocky its got woodchips, and would like to ride it and other trails once in a while but dont know the the Sirrus could handle it without upgrading tires. is this right? how about the FX tires?

Also I know I will be doing some curb hopping in the ciity, I wont be trashing the bike but I know its going to happen, so will the Sirrus rims be able to handle this without tacoing? or would the FX be better since it has wider/ bigger tires and a wider rim?

Finally I want to be able to do some distance riding as well, nothing over 20miles is very likely, but i would like to keep some good speed when I do. I'm use to the 700 x 23 slicks on the 1000 SL and know I hybrid will feel slower, especially at first, so would the FX tires be too wide?

So with this these long considerations (sorry) which bike should I go for? and would upgrading the tires be necessary?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by teesak; 06-12-13 at 12:44 AM.