Quoted: 4301 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Uh, never did...
You did here!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This is wrong.

Passing is an exception to the requirement to "drive entirely within a single lane" (it has to be: otherwise passing would not be legal).

As far as I know, there isn't any legal requirement to move completely into another lane when passing.
Are there not laws that prohibit lane splitting in most states... wouldn't that require moving completely over?
I did state that some states have laws against lane splitting...
?? You aren't being clear. That's your problem.

You keep saying that some states have such a law but you haven't indicated one state that has such a law.

While there's some ambiguity with what people mean by "lane splitting", it appears (from research I did a few years ago) that the most common meaning of "lane splitting" is to (basically) ride on the white line separating lanes (straddling the white line).

"Lane sharing" is when two vehicles occupy the same lane within the white lines delimiting the lanes. Some states allow motorcyclists to share lanes. Cars can't practically share lanes (because, obviously, they are too wide). What all states allow for bicyclists is like the "lane sharing" of motorcyclists ("lane splitting" is something different). The laws appear to treat "lane spitting" (if they address that at all) differently than "lane sharing".

ut then seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to cyclists.
This makes no sense. They allow it as an exception. The traffic laws are rife with exceptions to the general rules.

But again I don't advocate that a motorist has to move to another lane... you seem to be taking my comment much further than I intended.
You aren't making sense. And you are dissembling. I didn't claim you "advocated" it. You said that it was required, when (as I said) it clearly isn't required.

Drop it.
If you want it dropped, then you should drop it. Bizarre.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-12-13 at 10:48 AM.