RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I hope you've solved the problem, but from the description of what was happening, I'd be surprised. A tight or binding headset can definitley make bike handling squirrely, but you describe a consistent pull to the same side.

The consistency points not to a handling problem, but an alignment or weight distribution problem. These can be complex with a number of errors combining in ways that reinforce or cancel each other.

If you do conclude that it may be alignment, do not make any changes (except for correcting dish on a wheel) before you know ALL the problems. The carpenter's rule "measure twice, cut once" really applies to frame alignment issues. Measure everything, and get a good sense of what's really happening, then formulate your plan of action.
Thx FB, I'm about to ride home and I'll try some extended hands-free riding, but I think the overtight headset was the trick.

Before I loosened it, it turned fairly freely, but there was a little 'detent' (brinelling? can that happen in threadless?) detectable when lifting the front wheel off the ground -- if the bike was close to upright the wheel would not flop. And turning the handlebars in the hand with the wheel off the ground I could definitely feel a notch of resistance.

And even though my memory is not what it used to be, the recent occurrence of the problem fits well with my recent lowering of my stem and certain overtightening of the headset.

BTW, in honor of my 1000th post, I went and searched my history, and guess who was the first responder to my first ever post? That would be YOU. I think it's a sign. When they make a movie about us, I hope I'm played by Tom Hanks and you by Meg Ryan, rather than the other way 'round!