Old 06-16-13, 06:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The reason bent are safer, the LWB bents like mine is the fact that you cant be thrown over the handlebars. Broken collar bones is almost unheard of while riding a bent. Second, LWB bents in an emergency stop do have weight transfer to the front wheel and therefore can brake much better than a DF bike. LWB bents can stop far shorter than a DF bike. Third there is a lot less distance fall, and when you do it is usuall off to the side. On a bent since the rider sits up right and can far better view traffic and the surroundings, it is less likely that a bent rider will get sucked into an accident. It is far better to arrive at the scene of an accident feet first than head first. Lastly on my trike since it is so different than the usual DF bike that doesnt call attention to it, I almost alway get noticed and given far more passing clearance. Some of that passing clearance is thot to be that a lot of motorist may think that the trike is some kind of a wheel chair, and they sure dont want to be caught hitting a handicaped person. And on my trike I fly two tall dayglo orange flags.

Im alway glad to get the uninformed DF riders up to speed on the safety aspects of a recumbent. And yet as safe as they are, I wear a helmet every time I ride.