Old 06-19-13, 07:44 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Your shift to wool was a good call. It will help you prevent hypothermia. Even with temperatures in the mid thirties with wind and heavy rain I try to under dress to minimize sweating-YMMV. Depending on conditions I use a wool t-shirt with wool arm warmers or long sleeve wool zip turtleneck wool top under my raincoat. Any more clothes and I overheat and sweat a lot My rain gear of choice for over twenty years has been a long, below the knee hooded Patagonia rain coat. It has a durable waterproof coating and a DWR outer coating that I revived periodically. The two way zipper really provides wide adjustability while riding. I open the zipper gradually from the bottom as I warm up at the beginning of the ride to vent a bit and gradually close the zipper if i need to retain more heat. The bottom end of the jacket trails behind me over my saddle and items on the rear rack top. This has worked well at high altitude in the Andes, at sea level on the Alaskan coast, and on the Divide Ride in heavy rain and wind to keep me comfortable. When I stop for a break I put on a warm synthetic insulation layer to prevent chilling until I start again. In the worst of conditions I will use wool tights with wind pants over them. This is a rare event so far. Overdressing and rain pants to me are some of the main causes of sweating while touring in rain.