Old 06-22-13, 02:14 PM
Long Tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a rural area. There's a significant percentage of drivers out here that are just IDIOTS about bikes on roads. For my own safety I stay off the roads I have found to be problematic- generally where there's no shoulder and a high speed limit.

To do my current favorite 30-miler I have to do about 3/4 mile on one of the abovementioned Hell Roads. Having had a few near-death experiences on that section, where a car (actually usually a truck) coming behind me creates that wonderful situation where he, me, and the car coming the other way all converge in one place, usually resulting in the car passing me crossing the centerline and the car coming the other way running it's outside tires off the pavement. At which point I've literally seen the look on the offending driver's face as they realize "oh [bleep], I've made a dooty!" But by then it's too late.

It boggles my mind. They are in a CAR. For them to slow down until they can safely pass, then pass, requires them to move their foot acouple inches and press lightly. Yet they can't/won't do it.

I've given up on being nice. If I see that situation developing, I take the lane, and make the guy behind me wait until they can pass safely. It's a rare occurrence but I'll do it. It does anger people. Well, me getting turned into bloody goo and splinters of bone angers ME. Fug 'em.

I'll also do this on blind corners, where these same idiot drivers will start to pass, then get that same damn "oops! I'm making a dooty!" look on their face as they get halfway around. Of course, their plan- whether they realize it or not- is to swerve back into ME to avoid the head-on if a car should appear on this blind corner, saving them, but again rendering me dead.

I'm pretty militant about asserting my rights at times when my life is at stake.

Last edited by Long Tom; 06-22-13 at 02:21 PM.