Old 06-22-13, 04:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JusticeZero
"Grandma, if you keep driving, you're going to get in a wreck, and someone is going to die. And it probably isn't going to be you."
That approach may work with my mother, who is a rational, kind-hearted, generous self-sacrificing soul. It may also work with my step mother, who is equally thoughtful. The other four very old people in my immediate family would likely counter that auto wrecks happen all the time, so why should they be special and stop driving. Look at all those dangerous teenagers! Get them to stop driving, especially when they are sleep deprived, texting and drunk.

I'm unlikely to do anything but get four of the six to dig their heels in if I play that card. I might have some success with the fragility of elderly motorists mentioned earlier; they get in more wrecks than other motorists and they die more often in any given wreck. That won't stop them from driving, but it might resonate in the back of their minds when they have their next fender bender (or the next time they hit a building).