Old 06-22-13, 09:29 PM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I did this today on my Specialized and just cruising I was doing 60 RPM in my highest gear. That wasn't even really pedaling fast. My legs are fairly strong, not sure if that makes a difference or not. My lungs are starting to catch up and allowing me to use my leg strength more.
OK, you definitely need to work on spinning faster. 60 rpm is great for slogging up steep hills. Try to get yourself up to 85-90 rpm when cruising. Your legs will thank you!

And enjoy the new bike! It does sound a lot better for the kind of riding you want to do. And good thought on the old one. It's nice to have multiple bikes, not only because you have friends visiting, but also because you need something to ride when the other bike is in the shop, or you discover a flat just before you want to head out. There's a reason that the correct number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number you currently own. (My N=6 right now....)