View Single Post
Old 06-22-13, 09:48 PM
Kidballistic

Bikes: 84 Eddy Merckx, 92 RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how this thread goes back and forth over statistics. The real argument should be seen in a larger context. It is a simple topic for me. If you chastise me for not wearing a helmet when I drive my car, or do other dangerous activities, then cool, I get it, you are logically concerned for people's safety. On the other hand, if you decide to be a helmet Nazi only when it comes to people on bicycles, I would consider you insane, and rightly so, because you are far more likely to suffer a head injury while in a motor vehicle. In fact, I have suffered several concussions in my life, none of which came from riding a bike.

Not to say that not wearing a helmet is for everyone. Older people, overweight people who fall badly, people with poor balance or no confidence on a bike... well, I would say it would be wise for them to wear a helmet. Certainly I would not badger them to do so though. Personally, I only wear mine when I feel like it. (aggressive mountain biking, aggressive, or riding in groups road biking.) Also, if you want to get serious, pass on the $200 piece of Styrofoam and get a real helmet. Like a Protec made for skate boarders, or maybe a BMX style helmet. Or for those that truly fear their heads bouncing off the pavement or the front end of a bus, a Motorcycle helmet.

It is absolutely silly to badger people about the risks of not wearing a helmet while cycling, but then not even give a second thought as to why you do not wear one while driving a car, or while playing a sport, or walking into a place of business that just waxed their floors...

Last edited by Kidballistic; 06-22-13 at 10:04 PM. Reason: cause I wanted to