Old 06-23-13, 12:39 AM
cutcutpaste99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride with a splint (ligament damage) on index finger?

A week and a half ago I had an accident and suffered ligament damage in my left index finger. I also needed stitches on my chin and forehead as well as suffered some very big cuts. Someone cut in front of me on the bike path (coming from the opposite direction) and I ended up going OTB, leaving a pool of blood on the bike path and taking an ambulance to the hospital. The ambulance also took my bike which was nice of them lol. I was advised it's grade 1 or 2 two damage and should take 4 weeks in a splint with daily therapy to heal. My finger was swollen and quite stiff. It's better now but it's still very stiff do to the splinting. Am I crazy for wanting to put a smaller, less-intrusive splint on and take my bicycle out? I can't see this doing any damage if I'm careful. Obviously I won't be using the finger at all to control the brakes, gears, or grips. I'm dying to get some exercise and miss biking. The current splint covers my wrist and middle finger so it would be impossible. I have flat bars on my hybrid with mini bar-ends on the ergo grips. I live in Korea and have trouble explaining this situation to my orthopedic doctor. Now the stitches are out (thankfully no scars somehow) and I learned the person who caused it (who escaped unscathed) is paying my bills (ambulance, ct scan, stitches, x-rays, therapy.. not cheap even with insurance, makes me miss Canada) so I'm feeling 1000x better than I did a week ago.

It's going to be painful passing up this beautiful weather to wait another 3 weeks or so

Should I do it?