Old 06-23-13, 08:05 AM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Also any extra twisting of the spoke as tension is increased will correct itself either as you de-stress or on your first ride.
One technique to de-stress is to place the wheel on a round bucket. Gently push down on the rim to flex the spoke. Do this in several positions on the rim. Flip the wheel and do the other side. Then back to the truing stand.
Thanks 'gerv'. Appreciate all you guys comments. All the de-stressing I did was grab pairs of spokes and squeeze the hell out of them, all around the rim several times and on both sides. I had heard of the bucket method and others but figured what I did was good enough. There's a certain 'fear factor' in those other methods and was afraid of damaging something. Did my homework on this though. Researched the hell out of it, drawing material from all over the web for several months. I do admit to sacrificing my son's bike as a guinea pig, LOL. i completely tore his rear wheel down and rebuilt it before I attempted this. His bike had several 'hops' in it that didnt want to come out. When I was through with it, it was like a new wheel, which inspired me to think "Oh Yeah, I can do this!"

Sorry about the small pics. Dont know what happened. They were supposed to be twice that size.