Old 06-23-13, 05:54 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Careful there, here in California motorists can enter, and at certain times, drive in or cross a bike lane, especially if they are making a right turn at an intersection, entering into or out of a driveway.
Fair enough. It still sounds like the solid white line of a bike lane gets treated essentially the same as any other solid white line.

While most cars will get over without the need for a bike lane, sharrows, etc., I've encountered a few over the years who do not. I've not had similar experiences with cars trying to crowd me out of the bike lane. While it might not be unheard of, my experience is such that, without data showing otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that motorists generally understand and respect bike lanes.

Originally Posted by dynodonn
Also in California, if there is a bike lane present, cyclists are required to use it, of course there are many exceptions for one to use in not having to ride in the bike lane.
I've seen such rules other places, too. They tend to provide similar exceptions as "ride right" laws, most of which essentially leave it to the rider's discretion when it is or is not practicable to ride in the bike line.