Old 06-24-13, 04:20 AM
cutcutpaste99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Having experienced torn ligaments on my L thumb, I can advise letting it heal. Do not use it if you can avoid it, especially cycling, as braking and shifting will make you use the finger and you don't want that.

Note that hand injuries, should you ever need therapy, are typically not covered under most medical insurance policies, which consider them "occupational therapy" (I.E. Workers Comp cases). Thus you end up with a lot of out of pocket getting your finger back and working.

And you need your index finger to work correctly. If you don't believe me, try typing a reply one handed.
I purchased a sports splint, I'm quite sure I can operate my bike without using that finger at all. Not worried about medical insurance policies. I'm covered here in Korea for these injuries and I'd get coverage back home in Canada without question (or having to pay). The politics of American healthcare are absurd, so glad I'll never have to deal with that nonsense.

Thanks for the feedback, leaning towards giving it a few more weeks to heal, it's already been 11 days in a splint at this point and the first 2-3 weeks are critical for establishing proper healing from what I've read.

DX-Man, that sucks, sorry to hear,