Old 09-14-05, 11:15 AM
v1nce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure, it is opinion, everything written by me and anyone else here is pretty much opinion (some of it based on a foundation some less so, it is for each to make up one's own mind). Nothing wrong with that or even with disagreeying completely with one another. As for some other personal attack type comments, sorry but i don't feel like dignifying them with a response.

@ Jazzy Cyclist, personally i don't think your questions or this thread stinks or is lame or whatever at all. Of course you should ask questions, any you like. That's what a forum is for after all. Even if the question has been posed before it would appear there are still a lot of people that feel it is good to give their two cents. If people feel the question is useless or doesn't warrant response well,... no nobody is making them read it or reply to it..

Personally i Would let my choice for a frame or bike be dictated to a fairly large degree by standardization, and that includes the headset. That's for a couple of reasons. I am really into durability/long term use of a bike. Even if i replace my bike with another one, i like the idea that the next owner will be able to find all the replacement parts and have a big choice in what he mounts. Secondly if parts are standardized there are usually much more and better deals to be had. The headset i refer to for example is relatively very cheap and extremely established. The quality it offers would only be matched by integrated headsets that are double the cost or more.

Obviously you should select a frame you really like loads, but there is so much choice these days that you can get what you want as well as a frame with standard components.

I am not (and never was) arguing that one type of headset is more (or less) durable or technically superior per se. I am just saying that certain ones are more standardized, more readily available, often cheaper and have been doing the job more than fine for decades.

But once again, i am not trying to win you to my camp or start a holy war, choose what you like for whatever reasons you feel work for you. And if you want to get informed before you make that choice, well i applaud that.

Biking is all about personal preference and thanks the stars for that.