Old 09-14-05, 01:20 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
If you cringe from than thought, you must be in denial about the fact that incompetent driving that could have been fixed with better driver education is factor in only a tiny percentage of car-bike collisions and fatalities.

I cringe at the thought of the vast majority of cyclist deaths and injuries that are caused by a lack of cyclist education, which is ultimately caused by a lack of concern in the cycling community about educating cyclists, which is instead cringing about relatively minor problems over which they have little or no control.
This is where Serge and I differ. I believe that, through tactful-but-outspoken political advocacy, we CAN have at least some control over motorist accountability and bicycle-friendly road and intersection design. Although I concur that bad cycling causes more cyclist deaths than bad motoring, bad (incompetent, inattentive, inebriated, impatient, irate, etc.) motorists are, by default, the greatest threat to lawful vehicular "effective" cyclists. Just ask Dave and Betty Johnson or the families of Cece Krone, Larry Mahr, Ken Keiffer, or Patrick Klokow. Let us accept the often-stated assertion that bicycling is roughly as safe as motoring. The last time I checked, motor vehicle collisions were the greatest killer of teenagers and young adults. Is a fatality rate of three TWA Flight 800s per week acceptable? We can do much better, America, but it will require attitude adjustment, education, and an ethical regard for one's fellow citizens.

I do not "lack concern about educating cyclists," (I have politely told plenty of bicyclists to get on the right side of the road, to get lights, to stay LEFT of right-turn-only lanes, etc.) but this is only part of the equation.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069