Old 09-14-05, 01:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Actually, the second guy is just being honest and makes a good point. "Lady, we don’t care about your husband riding a bicycle. He’d better watch where he’s going or he’ll be a hood ornament."

Does anyone expect drivers to care about cyclists? Wake up!

Does anyone seriously doubt that cyclists should watch where we're going in order to avoid becoming hood ornaments? Of course we should!
I was critizing only the first point and noting that the editors should have made a editorial comment about what is legal.

I do want (but dont expect) drivers to care about cyclist, just as I want strangers to do what they can do avoid killing, maiming and attacking other strangers. It is perhaps an ideal, but I think I can still want if not expect it of other humans.

Of course cyclists need to watch where they are going, its a must. But the second statement was agressive and anti cyclist. Better would be to say "Both cyclists and motorists need to watch where they are going to help avoid traffic accidents." (but then it wouldn't be a rant) The 'hood ornament' crap is just agressive posturing and uncalled for, the implication is you better watch your back because I'm not gonna slow to avoid killing you. How can cyclist merge for left turns without motorists watching where they are going and accomidating slower vehicles?

Al

Al