Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by ktulu05
Thanks for all the tips. I'm learning a lot, and realizing I need to read up on a lot more nutrition stuff. I think I also need to realize that I need to focus now on burning fat, and not speeding along as fast as I can possibly go. I've been mesmerized by improving my Strava segments as much as I can and really pushing things everytime. It seems counter-intuitive to want to keep the intensity down to burn fat, and I think I kept thinking that the harder I push, the faster I'll lose weight.

I agree that I may be eating too few carbs. I found this article about glycogen, and I have seen the same pattern with weight gain. On a day where I eat more carbs, even if I stick to my calorie goals, I would gain a few pounds. It's not a gain of fat, but likely a gain of glycogen brought on by eating so few carbs in the days before.

I have been trying to eliminate processed foods, sugars, and white flours as much as possible. Quaker oats has a weight-control variety which has no added sugar, and I try to have that for breakfast a few days a week. I do have a bad diet soda habit which I'm trying to break in favor of water.

Thanks!
As your link says, glycogen adds about 3g of water for every gram of glycogen. So if you are consistently glycogen rich, you'll weigh more, a lot more, up to 4 kg more, and vice versa. So that's something to watch - glycogen depletion will drop weight off you, but you don't really want that, which makes the whole weight loss/exercise thing much more complicated. You can adjust for that to some extent by waist measurements. I chart my waist and thigh measurements along with my weight. I also have one of those electronic bodyfat scales which is not accurate but good for spotting trends.