Old 06-26-13, 01:05 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You noted this was an Araya rim. Is the joint pinned or welded or both? Sometimes it's hard to tell. I know the biggest problem I've had with new Arayas that were welded is the case where the joint is narrower than the average with. So the rim brake sinks into the rim, grabs and increases friction on the expansion in width and this happens every revolution. I've never fully gotten rid of this effect but was able to minimize it by doing as others have suggested: a) flip the wheel around, b) change brake shoe material, and c) sand and groove the rim (or ride off road in gritty conditions and use the brake a lot). I still have those Arayas (RM20's) but a few years ago, during a ride off road, I was coming down a steep single track and ran over barbed wire that punctured the rear, and braking hard on the front to slow down while riding on a flat was a tricky maneuver made harder by the rims going "thud" "thud" "thud" and grabbing at the weld. I went and bought some Sun Rhyno Lites in 1.75inch and built another set just out of being pissed off with the emergency braking performance. Problem solved.