View Single Post
Old 06-26-13, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
Interested to hear your thoughts after the Bon Ton Roulet as that seems like a really cool ride!
Did it in 2006. It's decent event for the northeast. Not that far a drive from Philly, at least not this year's starting point. Not so large that it's crazy like Cycle Oregon, which has over 2000 people. The riding was nice. North-south was often on the flatter side. Going east-west threw some nasty climbs at us. The camping areas, which were mostly at local schools and one college, were decent. Staying at schools meant flush johns and gym showers. I started early and didn't dally, so I got done early each day. That allowed me to get shady spots. This year, the first or second night will be at a state park. That should be intersting. I would not be surprised if they will need a shower truck and porta potties.

The one thing I found lacking were several of the dinners. Low-grade, elementary school caffeteria food. Lunch is on your own dime, which I acually don't mind. I would rather pay for food I want than something I don't. The week after Bon Ton I did CANDISC in North Dakota. While free GatorAde and water were proivided, all food way pay as you go. That was nice. The first rest stop on the first day was in the basement of a church. The church ladies sold fruit, real lemonade and baked goods while services were being held upstairs. A real slice of Americana. On Bon Ton I only ate lunch on the road once. The other times I would buy lunch in the overnight town. The wine thing is nice. I didn't bother with any wineries because I was usually on the road too early and don't like to drink when I am riding. But one day a rest stop was in a town with a wine store. I bought a few bottles of local wine and the SAG driver drove it to camp for me.

One notable exception to the so-so food was the dinner before the last day of riding. A caterer made roast chickens. Everyone got half a good-sized chicken and sides. It was excellent. They also had kegs of beer. I had made friends with one of the massage girls that worked the ride every year. We stayed up very late fininishing off the last keg with some of the volunteers. They have a tradition for the last night. They sit around and tell the dirties jokes you can imagine. Funny when you consider that the ride is organized by a YMCA chapter.