genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
This is where Serge and I differ. I believe that, through tactful-but-outspoken political advocacy, we CAN have at least some control over motorist accountability and bicycle-friendly road and intersection design. Although I concur that bad cycling causes more cyclist deaths than bad motoring, bad (incompetent, inattentive, inebriated, impatient, irate, etc.) motorists are, by default, the greatest threat to lawful vehicular "effective" cyclists. Just ask Dave and Betty Johnson or the families of Cece Krone, Larry Mahr, Ken Keiffer, or Patrick Klokow. Let us accept the often-stated assertion that bicycling is roughly as safe as motoring. The last time I checked, motor vehicle collisions were the greatest killer of teenagers and young adults. Is a fatality rate of three TWA Flight 800s per week acceptable? We can do much better, America, but it will require attitude adjustment, education, and an ethical regard for one's fellow citizens.

I do not "lack concern about educating cyclists," (I have politely told plenty of bicyclists to get on the right side of the road, to get lights, to stay LEFT of right-turn-only lanes, etc.) but this is only part of the equation.

Thanks John and very well said... motorists cannot seem to keep out of each others' way... so obviously there is some sort of "problem" with the motorist community in general.