View Single Post
Old 09-14-05, 03:33 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Well, I tore down the above Urago today, and the frame has issues. But the headset was a nearly mint conditon (races, some flaking chrome), absolutely no wear on the races, early Stronglight, buried under some grime. Speaking of the frame issues, I actually pulled the HS cups out of the frame with my fingers. The fork was an obvious replacement, which makes me wonder. The HS looks earlier than the bike to me by 5-10 years, which makes me think the HS had been lying around the shop a while before the fork was replaced. The BB threading was improperly aligned, as if someone had done a really crappy tap job or something. The Excelto Super Competion rear hub was as new, as were the Mathhausers. And the French threaded adjustable cup, though the fixed cup was shot. Frame was alligned okay, but had been repainted in spots with house paint. Tried to stick in some other HS cups, but they were all loose as well. Think it has too many issues, so no burning man bike this time sorry.

But I'll take a french threaded stronglight headset for free any day of the week. I'm guessing the guy had an accident, had the shop "fix" it up and improve some things, and then never rode it again. And I can use the fork and several other parts as well.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!