Old 06-27-13, 08:28 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This kindof reminds me of two place where the State has bit off its nose to spite its face... the first is El Moro. I think parking is $10 or $15. I suppose for hikers and picnikers wanting to explore the area they are willing to pay the price but for us mountain bikers (and long distance hikers) we park up on Ridgepark (Newport Coast), at a beautiful FREE city park and ride into the area from the north end. Or one can buy a county pass for $55 ($35 if a senior) and ride in from Laguna Coast Widerness Park or the Nix Center. State loses.

Another place is the Chino Hills Discovery Center. Now its a nice facility with great bathrooms but it charges $5 a day to park. And parking does not open until 8am. It's right next to Carbon Canyon County Park. I rather use my $35 pass and then ride over to the State bathroom and through Chino Hills...plus I like to start rides at 7a not 8a... Plus Chino is open Friday, Sat, Sunday and Monday only... yet everyone rides there during the week... I have run into the rangers on a Wednesday, they have said hi and that's it.

State really needs to think things through (boy is that easier said then done). Now if they put up one decent Bathroom in Back Bay, I would consider paying a charge now and again to park and hike there. I will still just ride around the area versus stopping to pay. NOW charge the cars to drive through... I would love that. Might limit car traffic which for cyclists is a good thing!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.