View Single Post
Old 06-27-13, 09:23 AM
zenout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I don't want to get into a 29 v 26 debate - where I live, just about everyone is buying into the 29 craze and I can see from manufacturers that is the trend but... again I am not an expert or know all that much about bikes... but have been riding a long time and well, just don't get the whole 29er thing (and yes I have tried them out).

I understand the wheels roll over obstacles better... well if obstacles are a problem, why not road ride instead? I thought the whole point of mountain biking was learning the skills of negotiating over roots, rocks, through sand, switchbacks etc all things roadies don't encounter (I am old school that way). Now I see new riders buying 29ers and expecting them to do everything the 26er does - it can't and won't ever. These guys are just tearing up an d destroying old established trails trying though... they never learn skills and they never learn patience - its all about "how fast can I go without anything getting in my way"... is that about it?

BTW I recently sold my Stumpjumper hardtail - a 26er - with all the custom upgrades and wheels it weighed in around 24 lbs. and it was fast! I would bet a skilled rider on that bike would beat a skilled rider on a 29er any day of the week!

AND maybe I don't understand the OP but I thought he said he paid $1900 for the bike - it should weigh less than 34 lbs at that price...
1900.00 is very low price for a new full suspension....I cant control the weight,i didnt create the bike.When you dont spend much,your gonna sacrifice something.