Old 06-29-13, 04:45 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Hey BG05, can you help me understand this business with the heat? And some of you other weather experts, feel free to chime in.
I just checked the hourly forecast for Glendora (zip code 91741) and here is what it looks like:
7:00 AM - 73F
8:00 AM - 76F
9:00 AM - 81F
10:00 AM - 85F
From Boulder Springs to the shack is about 9 miles. A brisk walk is about 4 mph. If we assume that one starts at 7:00 AM and climbs a tad faster than a brisk walk, he/she should be at the shack by 9:00 when the temperature will be a pleasant 81F. Even the decent won't get any toastier than 85F. Or is low 80s reason for concern? Boy, if so, people in SoCal should stay indoors 8 months per year.

Hey Rick, I said I'll make an honest attempt to be there at 7:00 AM. How successful this attempt will be, only time will tell. But sure as heck, I'll be there!

I've ridden GMR on very hot days. Could I do it? Yes. That being said the forecast can be wrong in either direction. Ask Tojan Horse about faulty weather forecast with heat. My first ride it was "supposed" to be about 77 when we reached the shack it was more like 91. Is that horrific? No but I'm not slender...I'm an Athena and so am carrying more weight up the mountain than some.

Have also ridden in hotter temps with road closed due to fire hazard (actually was a fire ongoing up in mountains) and that was pure misery. I don't ride my bike to be THAT miserable.

I don't feel like a wimp for my teams decision to wait for better temps as we have some ladies on team with health concerns that require more prudent thinking. We don't have to ride it to show anyone how tough we are.