onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'd say that any inconsistency in derailer positioning should be solved first; the Centeron-G float seems like a total band-aid to me.

And the way I see it, it's just as likely to aggravate any issues as to solve them, if not more so... the float equals a built-in lack of responsiveness; if the derailer is hesitating to shift, one of the most common problems, Centeron-G can only make that worse.

Its only function as far as I can tell, is to half-arsedly compensate for poor engineering. Well, I say screw that - make the system work consistently in the first place.

And that means more cable pull. Here's a thought for anyone struggling with S10 and internal routing with full-length housing - Shimano->SRAM Shiftmate at the lever, SRAM->Shimano Shiftmate at the derailer.

That, and/or segmented housing.
I would say that the guide pulley lateral movement is simply a requirement of indexing derailleurs. In order for the indexing derailleur to work, the guide pulley has to be positioned directly over the cog, and without a floating guide pulley the shifting will be noisy and prone to non-centering issues. It is not just Shimano that uses a floating guide pulley, Campagnolo has had a floating guide pulley since their Ergo design (when they first released top and bottom specific pulleys) and SRAM has a system where the entire derailleur floats, so they pulley (or derailleur) float is the industry standard, and the result of decades research, fine tuning and premier engineering. It appears to me that the floating guide pulley is and was designed to counter the ever changing state of the drive system, that would require constant attention and parts replacement to maintain without it. I would also think that rather resulting in the derailleur hesitating to shift, it simply extends the amount of cable pull by an extremely small amount, as the pulley would have the same median rigidity as a non-floating pulley, it just moves from side to side.. Therefore in the course of a shift, once the pulley has reached the boundary of it lateral movement and is derailleuring the chain, it has no additional movement that differs from a non-floating pulley that would cause any shifting hesitation. Once the shift has been completed than the pulley will again have some lateral movement and center itself over the cog.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-01-13 at 12:44 AM.