Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I find that lots of people I meet are reluctant to ride for two reasons:
1. Traffic
2. Needing to get special equipment
Traffic is the big one. I don't think you really need much in the way of special equipment.

You really put on a roadie outfit to go to the market? That's just...odd.
I don't see many people doing this either.

Which kind of bike is best? One that is reliable, affordable, and practical for commuting and errands. In other words, not a carbon road bike. Sure, you'll always have the Porsche 911s on the road, but most people choose a sedan, hatchback, or SUV for their everyday driving. This probably translates to urban and hybrid bikes.
I see some of those but mostly steel drop bar road bikes with a rack. Again you don't need much in the way of special equipment- certainly not a new /different bike.

Distance has nothing to do with it. It's the perception that cycling is something that you do in a park or on a trail for fun instead of as a valid alternative to the automobile. Change that perception and you go a long way to gaining more widespread acceptance of cyclists on the roads.
Distance has something to do with it, at least with what platform you choose, but platform has a lot to do with whether you consider a bike transportation or a toy. Here a cruiser bike is a toy, over there it's transportation. Just the opposite here.
Likes For delcrossv: