View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 04:09 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
there are stuff sacks that you turn inside out, and they have a 1/2 fleece side to them,
then you stuff things like the clothers you had on, in the sack.
I used this method for years. But I never could come to terms with how the clothes would compact, and unless they were nicely folded, there were always lumpy bits to contend with. And the "pillow" was never consistent in thickness.

Then I started experimenting with self-inflating pillows. The issue always was the thickness and general size when inflated was too small for me, and when deflated, the size was too large (odd equation, but true for me). I've also used compressible pillows, but the filling was always too soft to sleep with.

Originally Posted by 12bar
+1 on the Exped pillow I tried one out on my last tour and was very happy with it, the only thing I did was to throw a t-shirt over it as a pillow case.
We acquired these while away last year. I bought mine in an outdoor shop in Switzerland. It is by far and away the best pillow I have had in terms of the above equation as well as comfort. I am, however, looking at the next size up for my next purchase. I think then I would be in pillow nirvana.

I have found, that as with the Exped mats, slight underinflation is better than pumping it up hard.

Originally Posted by alan s
Come on! It's a time honored BF tradition not to search for old threads. Pillow technology has undoubtedly changed tremendously in the past 3 years.
Yes, it has indeed changed tremendously in the past three years with the event of the Exped pillows that are very well made, small to pack, and are apparently durable.