View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 07:21 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are my thoughts on the fish oil thing. Some studies seem to indicate that there isn't much benefit from taking the oil supplements, but there is a benefit to eating oily fish frequently.

The theory is this:

http://theconsciouslife.com/anti-inf...ega-6-fats.htm

To summarize: "...the imbalance between the two omega fats [omega 3 vs. omega 6] can wreak havoc on our health and pave the way for life-destroying illnesses such as Alzheimer’s, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, cancer and other inflammatory diseases."

I've concluded that this is probably true, and not pseudoscience baloney.

But here's the good news: you can easily fix the balance of fatty acids, and there's no downside. In other words, even if that "anti-inflammatory" business is all bull$hit, you won't have damaged your health. All you'll have done is spent a little more money on food. But there's a reasonable chance that you will improve your health.

So, what I do is:

1. Eat salmon or tuna a few times per week. Tuna or salmon from a can is OK. I also snack on smoked salmon, even though it is expensive and has a lot of salt.

2. Avoid all oils except for extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil. That's right, canola oil is not good for you. Don't use olive oil for cooking.

3. Eat ground flax seed. This only works if you avoid the bad oils and other sources of omega 6s. I put a tablespoon in a smoothie every day, and I often eat flax seed meal bread (with the flavor disguised).

4. You may want to eat grass-finished beef and free range chicken eggs, but the small omega 3/6 advantage that those have is overwhelmed by eating fish. IOW, the cost/benefit is pretty high.
So, the nice thing about this strategy is that you won't find anyone who thinks it will negatively influence your health.

Here's more: http://chriskresser.com/how-too-much...making-us-sick

Last edited by TromboneAl; 07-02-13 at 07:28 PM.