Thread: Saddle width
View Single Post
Old 07-03-13, 05:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
For guys that try to equate sit bone width to saddle width with accuracy, I believe you may have a tough time. But to me having experimented with a boat load of saddles, width is perhaps the most important metric.
I rode Brooks saddles for years and in particular the B17 was the most comfortable but not in the drops with its tea kettle profile. I determined it was its shape...pretty flat side to side and width that made it most comfortable. Today I ride a Toupe 155. The Toupe is flat in most directions and wide in back in 155mm. I can ride a century with no discomfort. Can't do that on a narrower version or another more commonly narrow racing saddle.
How you ride also matters. If you ride upright, then a wider saddle works better because your sit bone spacing where it hits the saddle is wider. Rotate forward and the contact pts. narrow.
Trial and error. As a data pt. you could try the Spesh assometer however. If a lot of saddles don't work, a good chance you need to go wider...would be my suggestion.
+1. Width is indeed the most important factor in keeping pressure where it belongs on the sit bones, not down the middle.