View Single Post
Old 07-05-13, 12:15 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Being the slow rider in our group I try to set the pace for some period of the ride related to how I am feeling or if the group is really going too slow for me. A Couple of those riders know about pacing and if I am doing say 18mph but starting to slow then when they pass me they settle into that 18mph but it does take the effort out of being on the front. However there are others that feel that my constant 18 mph for the last few miles means that with assistance of drafting- I can do 22 mph. I can't so judge the rider to draft before you commit.

Last year I met another solo rider on a new bike- you can always tell them from no oil on the cassette and no dirt on the frame--plus I had seen him buying from my LBS. He was also newish to riding so as I passed him I offered for him to sit on my wheel for a while and I just upped the pace a bit from what he was doing. 5 miles later and I stopped for coffee to find him still there. He stopped and we talked a bit and he said that having someone in front had upped his pace but I had not been going too fast. I then explained about drafting and cadence. Couple of months later and we met again and he was getting used to the bike and now understood cadence. But drafting was still difficult as every one that passed him was going like a rocket and he couldn't catch them to get a tow.

Spike Milligan