View Single Post
Old 07-07-13, 06:34 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
If you are planning on using new parts, you will have better choices by converting to a 2x10 drivetrain. I converted this Trek 400 to 2x10 using a mix or Ultegra 6600 and 105 5600 series. You could also use 10 speed Tiagra. Due to supply and demand you will pay less overall than trying to use a 2x9 drivetrain.

I had a spare drivetrain sitting around after I converted my CX bike from a double crankset to a triple. I ended up with an extra Ultegra 10 speed FD, RD, 11-25 cassette, a new 105 chain, along with a Sram 46 & 38t Cyclocross Crankset & BB. I also had a Mavic Open Pro W/ 36 spoke Dura Ace hub rear wheel.

I was able to upgrade the Trek 400D Elance to a modern 2x10 drivetrain. I found new Dura Ace 10 speed bar-end shifters at a good price. The drivetrain is quick shifting and the gear set with 46 & 38t chainrings and a 11-25 10 speed cassette has a tight range.

The bike was fun and sporty. I liked having the drivetrain performance of a modern bike while keeping the stealthy looks of a vintage bike.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-07-13 at 07:00 AM.