Old 01-07-03, 09:45 PM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ORBIT, I no longer waste time trying to argue the merits of recumbents to others. We recumbent cyclists already suffer a comic reputation among some cyclists of being overly defensive, as though a lingering inferiority complex drove a desperate need to vindicate the superiority of our choice of ride by quoting speed records or extolling aerodynamic comparison charts. I've been guilty of this same behavior, and let me tell you, it makes no difference to point out any of these things when people will ride what they feel best about riding on. Many, like Garbear, will never choose to ride a recumbent for their own reasons. I ride one for my own and I'm content with that.

Having said that, however, cycletourist, I wasn't trying to bite your head off or anything. I just wanted to point out that people ride bents for other reasons than the one you mentioned. I ask at the risk of sounding defensive, wouldn't it be nice not to characterize all bent riders as incapable of riding any other kind of bike? Furthermore (alright, I'm guilty!) did those RAGBRAI and the MS150 bent riders you spoke to tell you they'd all much rather be riding an upright bike if they could find a comfortable one? In other words, is discomfort the sole reason they all ride bents? Maybe it is among the riders you spoke with, but it isn't for me, nor the other bent riders I ride with. Greater comfort is a benefit but it doesn't keep us from owning and riding other bikes. That's all I'm saying. I'll get down from my soapbax now.